Jason Geddes, Ph.D.
Regent Jason Geddes was appointed by Gov. Kenny Guinn to serve on the Board of Regents in 2006 and was retained in the 2008, 2010 and 2016 elections as the representative for District 11. He currently serves as chair of the Academic, Research and Student Affairs Committee and the Investment Committee, and co-chair of the Athletics Committee. He serves as vice chair of the Community College Committee and the Health Sciences System Committee. He is also a member of the ad hoc Chancellor Search Committee and the ad hoc GBC President Search Committee.
He served two terms as Board Chairman (2011-2012 and 2012-2013).
Regent Geddes was born in Winnemucca, Nevada but spent his formative years in Gabbs. He attended Traner Middle School and Sparks High School. Through scholarships and a full-time job, he attended the University of Nevada, Reno where he became involved with student government and public service. While pursuing a bachelor’s degree in biochemistry, he worked full time and served as the ASUN agriculture senator, student body vice president, student body president and University of Nevada System Student Legislative Spokesman.
He was elected to serve in the Nevada State Assembly in 2002 and while serving was an active member of the Education, Judiciary, and Natural Resources, Agriculture and Mining committees.
Regent Geddes and Cindie (his wife of 30 years) are enjoying the adventures brought by the ever changing experiences of their 16-year-old son, Joe.
Regent Geddes earned a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Nevada, Reno in biochemistry with minors in biology and chemistry. He also earned a Ph.D. from UNR in environmental sciences and health (environmental chemistry option).
- University of Nevada, Reno, 1995
Ph.D., environmental sciences and health (environmental chemistry option)
- University of Nevada, Reno, 1990
B.S., biochemistry with minors in biology and chemistry
- Energy Conservation and Sustainability Program Manager, Washoe County School District
- Environmental Services Administrator, City of Reno
- Government Affairs Manager, Economic Development Authority of Western Nevada
- Environmental Affairs Manager, University of Nevada, Reno
- Assemblyman, Nevada State Assembly
- Senior Petroleum Chemist, Nevada Department of Agriculture
- Petroleum Chemist, Nevada Department of Agriculture
- Director of Operations, Nevada Environmental Laboratories
- Quality Assurance Officer, Nevada Environmental Laboratories
Civic and Professional Affiliations
- Truckee Meadows Water Authority, Director
- 4th of July Celebration Blue Ribbon Committee, City of Reno
- Judicial Selection Commission, State of Nevada
- American Chemical Society
- Energy and Environment Committee, University of Nevada, Chair
- Renewable Energy Deployment Transmission and Distribution Workgroup, State of Nevada
- Renewable Energy & Energy Conservation Task Force, State of Nevada, Vice Chair
- Reno Host Lions Club
- Truckee Meadows Clean Cities Coalition, Director
- Nevada Fuel Standards Environmental Coordination Committee, Chair
- State of Nevada Board of Psychological Examiners, Secretary/Treasurer
- Clark County Air Quality Forum
- Friends & Alumni of the College of Agriculture, Biotechnology and Natural Resources, President
- Young Alumni Chapter, President
- New Student Union Planning Team, University of Nevada
- Sustainable Building and Clean Energy Committee, University of Nevada System
Honors and Awards
- University of Nevada, Reno — Outstanding Young Alumni
- Nevada Wildlife Federation — Legislator of the Year
- Environmental Community of Northern Nevada — Golden Pinecone Award
- American Institute of Architects of Nevada — Livable Community Award
- Outstanding Professional Achievement, University of Nevada, Reno Graduate School
- National Graduate Student Award for Outstanding Achievement in Environmental Chemistry — American Chemical Society
- National Graduate Student Paper Award — Lewis Publishers and American Chemical Society
- Graduate Student Paper Award — University of Nevada
- U.S. – Soviet Student Leadership Exchange
- University of Nevada Board of Regents Outstanding Student (three times)
- University of Nevada Board of Regents Scholar